The weather has been getting warmer and warmer as the summer season begins, and that is also a signal for us that it is almost time for hubby to PCS again for a month. Its part of the Army life, but its never easy. We're trying to look at it as an opportunity for me to have some really special one on one (or two) time with the kids.
We are busy lately trying to plan some fun activities to choose from and keep us busy while hubby is away.
What kinds of things do you do in these warmer months? Do you have any fond memories as a child of things you did in the summer?
Here's the list so far. We probably wont get to them all, but that's okay because we're the type that like to have options! I'll add to it as I get more ideas, so be sure to check back too! :)
- Playdates with other kids (and moms). I'm hoping that this will help us to feel a little less isolated, and give the kids a little freedom to play with their peers and use their imagination.
- Run through the sprinkler
- Play in the kiddie pool out back
- Go to the local spray park
- Go to the playground
- Go to McDonalds (I know, I know, but its air conditioned!)
- Have a picnic dinner out at the wildlife refuge
- Have a themed day (like 50's diner day where we all dress up, eat cheeseburgers & milkshakes & dance to 50's tunes)
- Have girly makeover nights (Anna would love this)
- Go to a u-pick farm and pick fresh fruit
- Go for a drive and photograph some of the livestock at local farms (from the fence) just for fun
- Cooking and baking together (i got three new books at the thrift store that are great for this)
- Make shaved ice (with fruit juice) - yummmmm
- Paint, color, draw....
- Make craft projects (ideas for toddlers???)
- Make a bird feeder
- Soapy water in a big rubbermaid bin with lots of cups, pots and pans, etc.
- Start a compost pile (Anna would love helping with this)
- Sidewalk chalk on our back porch
- Painting with water on the concrete
- Blow Bubbles
- Work in the yard/garden together
- Watch movies together (yay netflix)
- Make some Christmas presents together
- Make smores and camp in the living room
- Conduct a puppet show with/for the kids
- Read a LOT
- Make home-made ice cream
- Go to one of the free summer movies at the theater (cartoony)
- Make homemade pizza with friends
- Sensory activities (refer to ideas in The Out of Sync Child Has Fun)
- Go to the dollar store together with $5 each
- Play with playdough
- Play with musical instruments. See what we can turn into musical instruments from around the house
- Play in the mud. Make a big mess of mud in a plastic tub outside with another tub of fresh water - and give them strainers, cups, etc. Dont forget the camera for this one ;)
- Make slime
*I don't want to forget to video tape so hubby can see when he gets home!